American-style Pancakes

American-style Pancakes

Saturday, 23 January 2016

Buttermilk Pancakes

Welcome to the Enchanted Stove where everyday the stove top is full of delicious things to eat. Let's cook something magical. The recipes on this blog have been tested in my kitchen.





Pancakes
It’s another Saturday here in Oxfordshire.  The sun is shining but it’s a bit cold.  I got a mug of steaming hot coffee by my side as I sit and plan my day.  There’s a pile of washing to do today.  Other than that there’s nothing else but to sit and relax, maybe watch some movies. 
One thing I must make though is a pile of buttermilk pancakes.  Alex and I like to wake up to a leisurely breakfast on Sunday mornings.  I’m a big fan of making things in advance so this morning I’m going to whip up my pancake batter and this afternoon I’ll cook the pancakes and put them in the fridge for our breakfast tomorrow.








Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoon melted butter
1 ½ cups of buttermilk
2 large eggs

Method:

1.  Into a big mixing bowl sift flour, sugar, baking powder and soda.  Make a well in the centre.
2.  Into a separate jug pour in the buttermilk, beat in the eggs and add the vanilla and melted butter.  Mix thoroughly and then add to the dry ingredients.  Whisk until there are no lumps.
3. Melt some butter into a pancake pan or skillet.  Drop 1 ladle full of the batter into the hot griddle. 
4.  Turn each pancake over when tiny bubbles appear around the edges.  This will take about about 2 minutes.
5.  Enjoy your pancakes with dollops of maple syrup.  You can also top your pancakes with berries and fruit, if you like.

Notes:  No buttermilk on hand?  No problem!   You can make your own like I do often:  Simply add 1 Tablespoon of white distilled vinegar into a measuring jug and add 1 cup of milk.  Stir and let this sit for a couple of minutes while you mix your dry ingredients.


I pour my batter into this giant jug and pour the batter directly from this jug on to the griddle.
Mix the batter until there are no lumps

No Lumps
Wait till bubbles form around edges before turning over

Beautiful

Place pancakes on a wire rack to cool before putting them on a plate.  This prevents them from being soggy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment